Friday, July 12, 2013

The Mechanics of a Rainy Day

From the family room, we hear a tapping, steady and recognizable, yet almost unfamiliar.  We open up the blinds next to the couch and peer out the window to identify its source.  The dark gray clouds in the distance blocking the sun's rays and the small droplets of water confirm out suspicions: it was indeed raining, and hard too.  The crystal clear turquoise pool below in the courtyard looks alive with movement, its surface being prattled upon by the fat, insisting beads.

I feel his hand rest over mine, still clenching the blind's drawstring, that gives a little squeeze.

"Let's go listen." He says, a gentle smile warming across his face. I oblige him and take his hand in mine as we make our way to our bedroom just a few yards away.

The sound of the rain pangs even louder on the windows as we enter, as if warning us to keep our distance. We ignore this, of course, but are at least convinced to not go outside or open the sliding glass.  The walls, painted a deep blue, correspond with our black accented furniture to reciprocate the mood the weather seems to emulate. The quilt, a bright aqua color with a white Hawaiian flower pattern, appears to resemble the pool we saw out the window and is in contrast to the rest of the dreary scene.  Its' skirt is neatly tucked in with white Egyptian cotton sheets.  Unlike the pool though, it remains unfettered until I climb on it, creating ripples and waves in the previously calm ocean of flowers. I strip myself of my jeans, drag myself up to the pillow, and use my hand to tear away the fabric aqua pool and bury myself underneath its' now imperfect waves.

He stands in front of the window for a while, tracing the drops with his fingers as they mold into each other and create new, smaller droplets in their wake.  His hair, normally a vibrant red looks a dark burgundy in the shallow light emitted by the cloudy sky.  He turns around to find me watching him with sleepy eyes and returns my gaze with another soft smile as he sits, lifts the covers, and then stretches out next to me on his back. He lifts up his arm, inviting me to scoot closer and lay my head on his shoulder, to which I immediately take his cue.  An audible sigh escapes me as I feel my muscles relax at his warm touch and the sound of his heartbeat beneath my ear.  Likewise, the rain outside quiets and becomes more steady, a combined rhythm that has me in a lull within just a minute or two as my head falls up and down with his chest.

Sometime later, I'm awakened by a hand stroking my hair, and the sound of my name being spoken over and over.  I groggily open my eyes to find his looking back at me.

"I'm sorry, I just..." He begins, a half smile comes and goes on his face as he searches for the words. The rain outside still beats, but ever so softly, and the room seems much brighter than it was before, which makes me squint.

"I just wanted to say...I love you."

I smile back at him, lean in to kiss him and close my eyes again.

"I do too."

No comments:

Post a Comment